Cats/Doggy Door

We are thinking about getting a kitten but are concerned that she will try to get out through the dog door when we are not home during the day. Is there any way to prevent this? We can't keep it closed when we aren't home because we have two large dogs that need to be able to get in and out.

the only thing i can suggest is that either you have a doggy door that is activated by magnets on your dogs collar so that the door will only open for them. Or that during the day you make a room for your cat which they can stay in that contains their litter tray, food and water, bed and toys.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.