Cats/Litterbox training

Question
We adopted a one year old stray cat, had him neutered and declawed 1.5 weeks ago.  History is unknown, but a very loving, affectionate cat, who appears to be well socialized with other cats.  Problem:  we've kept him confined to a bathroom to litterbox train, but he still poops on the carpet everytime we let him out.  He does use the litterbox when he is confined to the bathroom, but not otherwise.  Any suggesstions?

Answer
Hi
you are doing the right thing regarding the confinement litter box training as this is the general way to get a cat used to using a tray. There is obviously something else that is distressing him for him to Midden (this is the name given to this type of problem).
It may be that he is distressed about the declawing or his new surroundings. See my link regarding Middening it may give you other ideas as to what could be the cause.

Kate
/cat-poo.html

Cats

Kate Tilmouth