Cats/Mother cat mating

Question
My female cat is trying to mate with her male kitten! The male is only 8 months old. Can she have kittens if she mates with her kitten? And, ew! It is so wrong! Mating with her kid? Ick...Should I be worried?

TAMI

Answer
Hi
cats don't have the same social rules as us and will mate with any other cat despite the relationship. However in the wild what would normally happen is that the mother cat would chase her kittens off when they got to a certain age so that her territory doesn't become to crowded and also this allows other male cats to come.
I must admit i don't know if it is a good thing or not for them to mate as it may weaken their gene pool, best to call the vets and just get some advice over the phone or better still have your male cat neutered to prevent kittens. Best wishes
Kate
/neuter.html

Cats

Kate Tilmouth