Cats/Moving

Question
Hi there, my predicament is this. I am moving out of moms house and was hoping to take my cat Buddy with me. The thing is I would be separating him from our other cat, Kitty. Kitty is older and was not happy when I took Buddy in. She is still very jealous and they fight regularly. They aren't the best of friends but I'm still not sure if I should separate them (its been months they've lived together). Also, I'll be moving into my aunts who currently has three cats and a dog. Two of the three cats are from the same litter as Buddy. Could that make the transition easier? I'm worried the best thing for Buddy would be to leave him at my moms. But I'm his owner and I'd miss him terribly and I'm sure he'd miss me too. What, in your opinion is the best for the cat?

Answer
Hi
well this is tricky to answer as it is difficult to say how he will get on with three other cats and a dog. I don't think it will matter that they are from the same litter, it will be all about territory now and this may cause some friction. If you do move with him make sure you introduce him very slowly to the other animals (see my link below).
Regarding him missing the other cat that he is with now, my guess is that he may wonder for a while where they are but if she has never really got on with him, i would say that they don't have a very close relationship anyway.

All i can say is that you will have to take each step as it comes and make decisions based on how he reacts in his new home and what is best for him in the long run.

Good Luck and best wishes

Kate
/introducing-cats.html

Cats

Kate Tilmouth