Cats/cat fur

my cats fur appears matted and in balls on her back. How do I remove and get her fur back to original softness? Thanks

this is common in cats with long fur but can also happen to cats with short hair too. It very much depends on how bad the matted fur is. If it is very b ad then it will be too painful for you to try and get it out and it will have to be cut away be a groomer or vet who will have the right tools and will not cause pain.
I have put a link to my page about how to deal with matted fur at the bottom of this reply. It will give you more information about the problem and how to deal with it in the short and long term.
Best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.