Cats/kitten cold

Hi I have a group of kitten that are 3 to 4 weeks old. I know you dont give metical adivice but these kittens just have a little cold. Until now they have been staying outside however I've had to take care of an obsonte mother. What should I do for their cold?

colds in kittens can be very nasty and could turn  out to be cat flu which is very nasty indeed and potentially fatal for kittens. One of the main things that need to be avoided is dehydration which can occur very quickly. So making sure they take fluids and are kept quiet and warm is important. being young kittens they will need to feed a lot to keep their strength up so you may have to supplement their diet if they are not feeding with special kitten milk not cows as they are intolerant to lactose)

If the cold looks nasty ie lots of discharge, not eating etc then you must get them to a vet for treatment.

i have a page about cat flu just in case and also for your information here /cat-flu.html

lets hope it is just a little cold and that they all come through it.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.