Cats/2yr old male cat urinating

My 2 year old cat is well bathroom trained. I had him since he was a kitten and he would always use the litter box. I live in an apartment and recently, i found him urinating downstairs in the basement and in the house. Sometimes, he would also rub his body against the wall. I'm wondering why he does this and how i can prevent him from urinating all over the place?
         THANK YOU.

this sort of behaviour is a scenting process which can be brought on by many things, too many for me to outline here. Please can I ask that you read my page about this problem, it also gives some ideas as to how you can help the situation stop.  here is the page /cat-urine.html

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.