Cats/Behaviour after neutering

Question
Hi there,
I have two kittens about 7 months old, we adopted them together and they have always been great friends. However I neutered both my cats yesterday and since then one of my cats is terrified of his brother. We have small cones on both their heads so they wont like, and when we take the cone off the scared brother seems less scared, but still very apprehensive of his brother. I hate to see them like this, chunky is so frightened of this brother he has started hissing at him and all his hair stands up on his back. I have separated them and am making an effort to keep them apart, but Monterey misses his brother and cries for his.
What do I do, is there anything I can do to ease both the kittens and not add to an already very stressful experience!

Answer
Hi
don't worry this is normal. It is something called aggression trauma and is usually caused when a trip to the vet happens etc. It is a temporary thing but does need a little helping hand to make sure things return to normal. You will have to separate them for a few days and in doing so also slowly reintroduce them as if they were new to each other. Also the transferring of each others smell is important as is getting rid of the smell of the vets.

i have a page about the process, it may take only a few days for them to get over this but take it slowly and calmly and all should be well.

here is the page
/introducing-cats.html

best wishes Kate
http;//www.our-happy-cat.com

Cats

Kate Tilmouth