Cats/Behaviour after neutering

Hi there,
I have two kittens about 7 months old, we adopted them together and they have always been great friends. However I neutered both my cats yesterday and since then one of my cats is terrified of his brother. We have small cones on both their heads so they wont like, and when we take the cone off the scared brother seems less scared, but still very apprehensive of his brother. I hate to see them like this, chunky is so frightened of this brother he has started hissing at him and all his hair stands up on his back. I have separated them and am making an effort to keep them apart, but Monterey misses his brother and cries for his.
What do I do, is there anything I can do to ease both the kittens and not add to an already very stressful experience!

don't worry this is normal. It is something called aggression trauma and is usually caused when a trip to the vet happens etc. It is a temporary thing but does need a little helping hand to make sure things return to normal. You will have to separate them for a few days and in doing so also slowly reintroduce them as if they were new to each other. Also the transferring of each others smell is important as is getting rid of the smell of the vets.

i have a page about the process, it may take only a few days for them to get over this but take it slowly and calmly and all should be well.

here is the page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.