Cats/Hair loose on my cat

Our cat currently has a skin condition, we've been advised this is caused by the change in seasons, his hair in places has become course and is falling out. His left flank is becoming particular bald/sparse of
hair. The area was red but that has not gone
I have changed his diet to IAMS and some wet food
Is there anything we can do for him or is it best to bring take him back to the vet for a steroid injection.

Cat History: Ginger, male, young, adopted from RSPCA 2 years ago

Thank you  

Sorry to hear that your cat is suffering with a skin complaint. I know how distressing this can be for both you and the cat.

The treatment of the condition is determined by a correct diagnosis of the problem, which i hope your vet is doing. As you know some skin conditions can be quite tricky to cure.

I don't know what your vet has told you is the problem and how best to cure it. If the vet has recommended a steroid injection than that would be the best thing to do. Other wise I do have a web page which goes through some skin conditions and some natural medications which may help. But i always recommend taking a vets advice.

My page is here /cat-hair-loss.html it may help to provide some more useful information.

I hope things get better soon

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.