Cats/New kitten meets old kitten

Hi. Two weeks ago my nine month old kitten Oscar was run over and sadly died leaving behind his sister Molly. After much indecision we decided we should get a new one as we felt Molly needed a buddy. So yesterday we brought home a 9 week old tom. So when they met Molly hissed and growled which we expected. Our new kitten is totally unfased by it but we have had to keep them in seperate rooms for the time being. I am a bit concerned now as Molly just sits on top of the wardrobe and isn't going to her normal favorite places in the house. I feel we shouldn't have let the new kitten roam around the house as his scent is everywhere now. I feel terrible. What should I do?

this is a common mistake made by cat owners thinking that cats need a replacement companion when they lose a cat friend. Cats like us need time to grieve other wise it just feels like another cat coming and trying to take over the territory. I have a web page abouth this subject here /cat-grief.html

Any way now that you do have another cat the best thing you can do is to try and introduce the two cats slowly to each other over a few weeks. Again I get asked this often so I have also written about this process on my website here is the page /introducing-cats.html

I hope all works out well soon for you all and I am sorry to hear of your recent loss.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.