we have a 15 year old Persian whose kidneys starting to fail,
its getting that he will urinate on the kitchen floor rather than go in its box. can you suggest anything to help us, it doesn't smell that bad as its basically all water.

If the vet has diagnosed kidney failure then i am not sure what can help this. If he however keeps getting a urinary infection which makes him urinate all the time then there are medicines which can help. I have a web page about this problem here /cat-urinary-problems.html

If it is not an infection but a weak bladder etc unfortunately there is not much you can do as you can't put panties on a cat like you can a incontinent person. It is best to ask your vet if there is anything that can be done perhaps surgically.

Sorry I could not be of more help

best wishes kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.