Cats/Purebred vs. mixed bred Siberians?

Question
My mom is severely allergic to cats and I read that Siberian cats may cause fewer allergies in people. I want to adopt a cat because it is cheaper and the right thing to do. But these cats on petfinder.com are mixed bred and not purebred, so would the affects still be the same, or the level of Fel D1 in the cats saliva.

Answer
Hi
as far as I am aware there is no such thing as a cat which will cause less allergies. I think i did hear that someone was trying to breed one, but as much as I disagree with that, if they did manage to do it the cats would probably cost thousands.

There are a few things that can be tried to reduce the allergic reaction and indeed my boyfriend is allergic to cats but we had a cat now for over 14 years and he is not affected by them any more as his immune system has become used to our cat.

here are a few other things that can be tried

Make sure your cat is regularly de-flea’d.
Groom your cat outside
Wipe the carpet down with a damp cloth after vacuuming
Try a pet shampoo that reduces the allergens, like PetalCleanse or Allerpet.
Consult your doctor who may be able to prescribe tablets to reduce the symptoms.

best wishes Kate  

Cats

Kate Tilmouth