why won't my cat eat when I'm not in the room?

well cats can have funny little habits and sometimes a cat will get used to eating with someone else present and so when you are not there it feels strange.

Also cats often feel vulnerable when they are eating as they are not able to be on the look out for attack. You are there to protect them. My own cat is a little like this. She constantly looks up to make sure i am around and to see if anything is creeping up on her. It is a instinct thing.

Sometimes you can re train your cat to eat alone by leaving the room at meal times and over a period of time they get used to it.

I wouldn't worry too much.

best wishes kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.