Cats/clawing the furniture

QUESTION: I just adopted a 2 year old spayed female russian blue cat from the humane society.  She is wanting to claw the furniture and the area rugs that I have on my hardwood floors.  What can I do to stop her from doing this.  I have a clawing post with catnip on it but she does not seem to be interested in it.

I get asked this question a lot and found that it was best to write a article about it and give people some solutions to the problem there rather than try and explain it here. In fact I several pages, please can I ask that you read them as they will be able to fully eaplain the problem and the possible solutions.

Can I just add. Please do not resort to declawing your cat. It is banned in many countries and is cruel as it is equivalent to having your fingers amputated at the knuckle and can be very painful and can cause problems for the cat later. I'm sure you wouldn't, hope you don't mind me saying it.

Any way here are my pages about furniture scratching etc.

Best wishes Kate

QUESTION: My 2 year old russian blue female cat that I adopted around Thanksgiving is a very sweet cat.  She cuddles up and sleeps with me all night until 4:30am every morning she decides it is time to get up.  I have to get up at 5:30am every morning to get ready for work and don't want an interruption in my morning sleep.  But I still want to have the close bond with her by having her sleep with me.  The bedroom door is open so she can go out to eat or drink or use the litter box but she gets right at my head, purrs, and kneads my hands if they are exposed, which of course leaves puncture wounds.  Any suggestions on her waking me up short of closing my door and not allowing her to sleep with me?

sorry no there is no way to stop this apart from closing the door on her. My own cat does this every morning and we have just decided to put up with it.

Cats have a very different timetable to ours and night time is their most active time. They also like to sleep and eat in smaller time spans to us.

You could try feeding her a good size meal befoe you go to bed but there are no garantees.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.