Cats/Cat urine in heating vent

time4tt wrote at 2014-11-17 00:51:42
I had this problem and managed to solve it. I have two cats - one older one and one younger. One or both of them (I believe the younger one) was urinating down the vents. One cat was still using a litter tray, but one was also pooping in the dining room. They had both used litter trays at some point. I tried putting a litter box over the vent they used the most often, but they would find another vent. I put pieces of wood with nails through it over the vents (made from the stuff they use to hold carpets down), but the cats still used the vents. I was also worried about a human or our dog stepping on the nails.

What worked was to make covers for the vents out of cereal box packets. I attached these with Scotch tape and it covers the vent so the cat can't pee down them. I put them on all the vents in the house (which meant eating a lot of cereal!). At the same time I got two litter trays and took the covers off of them (so it was just a tray with litter) so the cat wouldn't be afraid of going inside a small area. I left the tray which was being used where it was and put the other tray one the spot where the cat was pooping.

So far I've not had any problems (it's been a couple of weeks). My only concern with this solution is hot air from the vents coming through the vents and setting the cardboard on fire. You may want to get store bought cowels which do the same thing, or try doing this in the summer when hot air isn't coming out of the vents.

I hope this helps.

Cats

Norman Auspitz