Cats/My female cat's weight

Question
Hello, I have an 8 year old female cat who was always small not only in weight but also in size.  All of the sudden the past maybe 2 years she has been PACKING ON THE POUNDS.  She literately has the belly of a goat!  Before, I could fill their bowl (I also have a 9 yr old male) and they would only eat when hungry.  Sometimes I would not have to add food for a couple days!  Now it seems everytime I turn around their bowl is empty, and if she hears me fiddling in the kitchen, she run out hoping I will feed her again.  
I don't know what to!  But this isn't healthy and its past the point of where I should have interviened.
Do you have any idea what this could be and how to help her?

Answer
Hi
you have not mentioned if you have had her checked out by a vet or not. If not then that is the first course of action, so that you can at least rule out any hysical illnesses which may be causing her to over eat.

If the vet gives her a all clear then you will have to take charge of her diet from now on and feed her only at certain times with certain food and amounts. I have some web pages here about the subject /fat-cat.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth