Cats/My kitten hides

Question
I recently got a new kitten who is 7 weeks old. Whenever I come home from work or wake up in the morning she is hiding under the couch. She doesn't come out until I call to her. I haven't been letting her sleep with me because I am afraid of rolling over on her.
I think whenever I am not around, she spends the whole time hiding under the couch and then when I am around she comes out and is totally hyperactive. Any ideas for why she would be hiding and how I can get her more comfortable in my home?

Answer
Hi
this is totally normal behavior for a cat who is new to a home, especilaly a kitten who is so young. (a kitten should be kept with its mother if possible for at least 8 weeks as this is the importnant time for them to learn things from their mother such as social behavior and litter training etc. See my page about kitten care here for some more information /kitten-care.html

I would just give your kitten time to get used to their new surroundings in their own time. trying to force them may just make things worse.

make sure there are plenty of toys and things to do left around the house while you are away. Climbing and play are all important to build a kittens strength and abilities. I have a several pages about interactivity for cats and cat toys for some more ideas.
Although this page is about people who want to keep there cats inside all the time it does have some suggestions as to the sort of thing cats like to play with etc /indoor-cats.html

This is a page about cat toys /cat-toys.html

I'm sure that in a few weeks time your kitten will have found their confidence and will be running all over the place.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth