Cats/stray cat

hello thankyou for your time in reading my concern,i have a small horse farm with 3 barn cats and they are all spayed and neutered to keep the population down. The other night i had a younger female cat show up it is very friendly and i can tell it can't even be 6 months old and its very emaciated, i have never seen a cat so skinny except for on tv. it is also very cold in my area. there is no possible way the cat can come in the house and all i have for the cats to live in is my small hay area- and a few spaces they may find here or there.

my question is how can i help this cat in the best way to gain weight in this cold? i already have food out all the time but it doesn't eat that often or that much. I'm really worried she might not make it for very long. i also am in college an cannot afford a vet for a stray animal as it is. any advice would be awesome thankyou so much for your time- aimee

i understand your problem but it does sound like the best thing for the cat would be to see a vet. Are there no animal shelters or charities that can help with costs etc?

Apart from that all you can do is provide somewhere warm and dry and plenty of food and fresh water. But if they are sick then only medication will help her to egt better.

Make sure you are providing the best quality food including dry kibble which is higher in calories.

I hope you can sort something out for the cat.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.