Cats/training a 8wk old kitten

Hi i have just got an 8 week old kitten, she as used the litter wen i put her on, but then went to the back door and had a poo on kitchen floor, she as been using litter to poo and wee but other day went to a corner and had a wee on carpet, came down last night and she as had a poo were she had a wee other day, in the corner on the carpet. dont know why she is doin it, when she knows how to use the litter tray, please help want to nip it in the bud, we are moving house soon will have new carpets. thanks penny

It can take some time before a kitten fully understand that the litter tray is the place to go.

You will have to thoroughly clean the area that she has used as any traces of urine will encourage her to use the same spot.

Also she may need a period of time confined to a room with the litter tray, this process helps her to become more familiar with the litter tray without too many other distractions. the process is outlined here on my website

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.