Cats/urinating cats

i have 2 burmese cats, both desexed, 1 male and 1 female.
approx. age is 4yo. 1 of them has just stsrted to urinate on the kitchen benchtop, i dont know why?.
they live in and outdoors,they have a cat door with access to the outside anytime, have only started doing it in the last 2 weeks.i dont know which cat it is,ihope you can give me an answer, i love the cats, but i cannot keep on letting them do this, they will have to go.---thank you , patrick

there are many causes for this type of problem. First you have to rule out any physical illness like a urinary infection which would cause the cat to urine all the time.  See my web page here about this problem. /cat-urinary-problems.html

After that you will have to look at causes that would make the cat change their behaviour. remember there is always a reason for this behaviour, the cat could be upset by something and the urination is there way of making the place smell more like them which in turn makes them feel more secure.  I wonder if another cat could have got in and onto the work surface which the cat can smell. Try washing it down with bicarbonate of soda and the wall around it as well as the cat flap area. this will remove odours and is safe to use.

I have also written a page about urination problems here /cat-urine.html which may give you some more ideas as to what could be the cause of this behaviour.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.