Cats/behaviour-missing owner??

Question
3 days ago my husband spent the entire day in the hospital; the next day he was again taken to the hospital and is still there.  I have 2 cats, but 1 is behaving oddly.  I noticed immediately on the 1st day that they both missed my husband, but today this cat is hiding alot, hissing, not doing anything he usually likes to do. He has a stronger attachment to my husband than he does to me.  When I've been able to catch him and hold him he cries and when I put him down he hisses.  He actually had me very worried  at one point because I couldn't find him anywhere.  When I shook the bag of treats he did show up, but not very enthusiastically.. actually walking a bit lethargically. He had his treats and then he disappeared again. He has eaten a bit, doesn't seem to be alot of difference there.

He also seems to be looking around at the doors like he's expecting someone to come in.  Because all this change in behaviour started when my husband went away, I think it has something to do with that and that it is not a medical condition, at least that's what I'm hoping.  The cats have noticed a difference in my behaviour as well as I am a bit worried and have been making alot of phone calls, and they are probably picking up on my nervousness.

From all of this knowledge, what are the chances that his behaviour IS a result of the change in his daily routine?  Thanks for you help.
ps..one of the things I'm worried about is internet service disconnection, so if I don't return right away, that is probably the reason why.  thanks again

Answer
Hi
By the sounds of it i think you could be right, especially if the behaviour started at the same time as your husband going into hospital. Cats do pick up on our emotions and changes in routine can affect them quite badly in some cases.

the best thing you can do is to keep a close eye on him but let him do his own thing. If you chase around for him this could make things worse for him.

Make sure that he is still eating and drinking and if there is no change or he stops eating etc then it could be worth a trip to the vet to make sure that there is no underlining illness. I do suspect though that it is the change in circumstances that has affected him.

Cats need time to adjust too but are usually quick to bounce back once they are use to changes.

I wish you and your family well and I hope your husband is home again soon.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth