Cats/my older cat and my new kitten

Question
Hi we have recently gotten a new kitten who is currently 12 weeks old. We also have a cat that is 10 years old. They are both female. We have had the kitten going on 2 weeks now and a few days ago, Nyla the 10 year old cat started acting strange and crying whenever we were around the kitten. She was very protective of her. But now she is being vicious when ever we try to get near the kitten and her or the kitten by herself. My 8 year old son was attacked tonight and I am worried that this isn't going to stop. My spouse will not give Nyla up because he has had her for 10 years and it is his cat. She is very attached to him also. I was wondering how to handle this situation and if you have any advice on what we should do. I don't really want to give up the kitten cause I have gotten attached to her.

Answer
Hi
it sounds like your older female is taking on the role of protective mother. Don't worry this will be a temporary situation but the cats do need some time to themselves.

I know it can be difficult with a young child around but the two cats need space and time on there own. the cats will come to you and your son when they want to and in fact is the best way as it will build a stronger bond.

Please see my page about bonding with a cat for some more information. here
/new-cat.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth