Cats/my older cat and my new kitten

Hi we have recently gotten a new kitten who is currently 12 weeks old. We also have a cat that is 10 years old. They are both female. We have had the kitten going on 2 weeks now and a few days ago, Nyla the 10 year old cat started acting strange and crying whenever we were around the kitten. She was very protective of her. But now she is being vicious when ever we try to get near the kitten and her or the kitten by herself. My 8 year old son was attacked tonight and I am worried that this isn't going to stop. My spouse will not give Nyla up because he has had her for 10 years and it is his cat. She is very attached to him also. I was wondering how to handle this situation and if you have any advice on what we should do. I don't really want to give up the kitten cause I have gotten attached to her.

it sounds like your older female is taking on the role of protective mother. Don't worry this will be a temporary situation but the cats do need some time to themselves.

I know it can be difficult with a young child around but the two cats need space and time on there own. the cats will come to you and your son when they want to and in fact is the best way as it will build a stronger bond.

Please see my page about bonding with a cat for some more information. here

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.