Cats/Toilet training

Hi!  I recently bought a book on toilet training my cat.  I followed the directions exactly.  She will pee in toilet, but is pooping downstairs on the carpet.  Help!  How do I get her to stop soiling the carpet and using the toilet for that too?

I'm afraid i have not got any experience of toilet using cats but if your cat is pooing elsewhere it may be another problem entirely. All i can recommend is that you read my page (link at bottom) about Middening (cat pooing) it may give you some more ideas as to the possible cause of the problem.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.