Cats/cat gets poo on tail

My vet is puzzled by this problem, as am I.  Our healthy, fixed, male cat periodically comes in the house with loose poo on the underside of the tip of his tail.  He seems unaware of it, and will leave smears around the house. He strongly resists when we try to gently clean him.  Is there a reason why his tail would get in the way while he is pooping?  Why would this be an on-and-off problem?  When I see him pooping it doesn't seem like the tip of his tail should be getting soiled.  Could he be dipping it into the poo afterwards?

Any advice on how to minimize this problem would be greatly appreciated.

how strange. Like you say there is no obvious reason why your cat should get poo on to the tip of their tail. I have also never heard of a cat deliberately dipping their tail into poo, i can't see what the point would be.
The only thing i can think is that while they are trying to cover up the poo afterwards that they are getting their tail in the way. Or that where they go outside has lots of uncovered poo around and when they scat down they get their tail in some. Unusual as cats are usually very clean and don't like to go near other cats poo.
Unfortunately i can't think what you could do apart from searching around outside to see if their is any uncovered poo anywhere.

I'm so sorry i can't be of more help.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.