my cat has given birth to a liter that are one month now, they have started to run around the room and on several occasions i find a patch of urine, should i get them used to a small litter tray now or wait until their mum does? the only problem is that they are upstairs and the mums litter box is downstairs, i am a bit worried to put a litter tray up in the bedroom as it might start to smell. should i tray to move the kittens downstairs. then introduce them to the litter box?

if it is possible to move your kittens downstairs it would be easier for your kittens to learn to use the litter tray where it will normally be. The mother cat will use it in front of them and they will learn from her mainly.
If you prefer not to move them downstairs then move the litter tray upstairs and use a litter that has a mild deodorizer and clean the tray out at least twice a day to prevent any odors.
The earlier the kittens are exposed to the litter tray the better as it is in their first seven weeks of life they pick up most of their social skills, like getting used to humans, other animals etc.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.