Cats/Adopted 6 year old cat... What to do

Question
This is the 1st pet that I have had since leaving home as a teenager.  I had cats growing up and have finally broken down and gotten one to give my 11 year old daughter the experience of being a cat person.  Our cat was a kitten when her owner who moved in with her allergic boyfriend had to put up for adoption.  It all seems like a good match, and I was just wondering what I can do for the cat Zoie, who is very stand offish (she growls and hisses at us), and my 11 year old to make this a harmonious venture for the 3 of us?

Answer
Hi
sounds like a good match also. Helping a cat to settle in is of great importance in the first few weeks as it can determine how your relationship will grow and develop.
The best thing i can do is to advise you to read my webpage about bonding with your cat here
/new-cat.html

You may also like to read some of my general cat care/behavior pages etc to help give you some overall basic cat care advice so that you will be able to avoid some of the pitfalls some new owners fall into.
I wish you all many happy years together.
Kate  

Cats

Kate Tilmouth