Cats/cats after birth

Hello Kate i just have a few questions on cats after birth, first off my cat of 15 months has given birth to 6 kittens which one has died on march 10, 11:00pm - march 11 and the last baby was born about 5:30 am, and i was wondering on what i should be giving her to eat/drink i have been given her cats milk mixed with water and some wet food and some of her standard food and she has loose stools. shes eating alot and her appetite seems to be good and also she has been limping as if she has a sore hip from birth sometimes its almost like she has a muscle spasm and cant walk for a couple of seconds after she stretches, any advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick Hirsekorn

you do not have to feed your cat anything special after birth, as long as it is good quality food which contains all the nutrients required to keep an adult cat healthy, most of the good brands are ok.
Your cat will decide how much she wants to eat and she will probably be very hungry now as she is producing milk for her litter.

regarding the hip thing, i would keep an eye on it for a few more days and see if it gets better, if not it could be worth getting her checked incase she did dislodge something during birth, i haven't heard of that before but she could have strained a muscle and that should get better on it's own.

I have included a couple of links to my pages about cat pregnancy and kitten care for your information.

Congratulations on your new brood

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.