Cats/cats pregnancy

Question
I have a 9 month old cat well in my eyes she is still a kitten. I took her to the vets on the 21th of February as she was acting strange and there was a possibility that she might of got pregnant as there were too many tom cats about.
Anyhow he told me that she was about 4 weeks pregnant, and that they carry for 63 days. Now this is the first time that I have a cat kitten, I always have to have dogs so I don't really know what to do.
I belive that by dates and her action that she will have a litter any day now,last night I saw her bleeding a little and that gave me an indication that she will have them last night but she didn't.
My question is that how do I prevent her from eating her kittens once they are born as I have heard a lot of bad stories lately and I don't even know how to take care of them!
thank you in advance!

Answer
Hi
i really do not know where these myths come from, especially the one about eating their own kittens. Let me put your mind at rest, these are all stories, the worst that can happen is that the cat will have no maternal instinct and push her kittens away in which case you would have to look after them. this is rare though.
the best i can do for you is to recommend that you read my web page about cat pregnancy and kitten care they will give you some back ground information that will hopefully put your mind to rest.
Don't worry too much most cats even young ones know what to do instinctively, the best you can do for her is to make sure that her environment id quiet and undisturbed, give her lots of space to get on with it herself and don't try to interfere. I'm sure everything will be fine.
here are my pages for you
/cat-in-heat.html
/kitten-care.html

best wishes
Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth