Cats/elderly cat that won't eat

Hi I have a 19 yr old cat, he has had full blood work done and no probs but he just wont eat very much and is loosing weight, he is a shadow of his former self i have tried most things any suggestions?

it could be that he has lost a lot of his sense of smell and just can't smell his food anymore which is what makes them eat their food. try warming the food up a little or poring a little warm water on it to increase it's smell.

if this does not work and your vet has done full blood work then I'm afraid it could just be old age.

I do hope he picks up soon.
best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.