Cats/momma cat and kittens

Question
I have kittens that are 1 week and 3 days old. Mother only had two kittens. Just recently momma has been getting extremely rough with them. She bites them and then pushes one with her back legs. She doesn't do this all the time. Also I have had to add water to her wet food because she is being very finicky. I need some advice on this. why she would behave this way? Please help!

Answer
Hi
i wouldn't worry too much it does sound like your mum cat is just starting to discipline her kittens this is an important time for the as during the first seven weeks of their life is when they learn all their socialization skills etc.
here is my page about kitten care etc
/kitten-care.html

Regarding the finicky eating, this is also normal and is a instinct that cats have to change food occasionally, see my page here
/cat-eating-disorders.html

Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth