Cats/mother cat apart from kittens

hi can you help.mother cat on secound litter,kittens are 6 weeks old feeding for themselves not have to much to do with kittens so i let to kittens ok for a day but not not stop meaowing a sorry sort of sound..jave i let them go to soon

yes you have. the first seven weeks of a kittens life is very very important. this is where if it is to be a sociable cat that will become a good pet, it learns important lessons from both its mother and from it's human companion. cats that do not get this intensive socialisation will have difficulty in later life. See my page here about this /kitten-care.html

I don't know what to say, If your intention is not to breed your cat then it would be best to have her spayed as soon as possible. this will calm her down and stop her frustrations.

if you do intend on breeding her, i suggest that you study cat behavior etc so that you can provide the best cat care and start for your litters. It can be very distressing for a mother cat to lose her kittens too early. Give her lots of toys to play with and give her lots of your time to try and distract her from looking for her kittens.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.