Cats/sneezing and running nose

Dear Kate,

We adopted a 6 month old kitten from an animal shelter about 2 weeks ago. She was healthy and got all her shots at the shelter. About 7 to 10 days ago she started sneezing a lot. It would persist in the evening and she would go about 20 sneezes at a time. I used to have a kitten years ago, he had the same problem, the vet said he was getting used to new smells. But today I noticed dried mucus on one of her nostrils. I cleaned it out. But a few hours later it was back again, only liquid. I hope she doesn't have a cold. Another circumstance to factor in: we use air spray, because my husband smokes and I hate the smell. I was wondering whether that can be the cause of her sneezing (like an irritant?). Hope you can help me with any type of advice. I just don't want to go to the vet and get the same answer again .... But I don't want my kitten to get a serious cold either ...

Thank you!!!

If she has had all her shots then she should be protected from anything nasty like cat flu. If it is just a spring cold i wouldn't worry too much and it will pass without too much trouble.

Also some cats do get hay fever symptoms just like us humans so it could be something like that.

if you do think it is the spray then stop using it for a while and see if the symptoms ease up, if it starts again after you use it again then you will know.

There isn't anything you can do about this sneezing, my cat sneezes all the time, especially at this time of year, it doesn't bother her too much.

Best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.