Cats/Aggression

Question
Hi, I hope that you can help me.  I have 3 female cats, my oldest is Oreo & I have had here for approx. 5 yrs.  Oreo is the mother to my other two cats, White girl & Rooser.  They are going to be 2 in a month.  All 3 gave birth a month ago and all was going very well.  They were caring for eachothers litters and there was NEVER any aggression.  About 2 a.m. this morning they were all in a fight in the kitchen.  I could not separate them or even get their attention.  Rooser who is the smallest and the youngest of all the cats seemed to be the one in charge and displaying the most aggression.  Oreo finally ran outside and I was able to lock white girl in another room.  Rooser ran into my bedroom which is where her kittens and Oreo's kittens are.  When I went in there after her to talk to her and see if she was hurt, she started hissing and growling at me.  She charged at me a few times and slapped my legs with her claws exposed.  The only person she allowed to touch her was my 12 yr. old daughter.  She grabbed her and put her outside.  Both Oreo and Rooser spent the night outside and I did hear a few more fights.  This morning I was hoping that she would have calmed down & I let her into the house.  The first thing she did was look for my other cats and began to attack them.  She is in my bedroom again and if I even touch the door and try to enter she runs towards me hissing and growling.  I guess I am wondering if this is some sort of post partum hormone issue or if they are ever going to be "normal" again?  
Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Jenn

Answer
Hi
well having three adult female cats and three litters all at the same time i am not at all surprised by what has happened.
As you know cats are not pack animals and adult un-neutered cats are driven by territory and survival of the fittest. basically what has happened is the natural mothering instinct of my kittens come first and so i need to run the others off. in the wild the more kittens around the more fights there will be. Basically the mother cat is trying to secure the territory for her brood. Some cats have this tendency stronger than others but it is completely normal.

As for the cure, well I'm sorry to say that reducing the amount of cats you have in your house will have to be a priority as will neutering your adult female cats. Then of course the kittens will mature sexually after 4 months and so they too will need to be neutered to avoid fights etc.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for but unfortunately all i could tell you was the facts, there is no other easy solutions I'm afraid. You may have to separate your cats and litters into separate rooms until you can sort things out for the long term

Best wishes
Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth