Cats/Cat with FIV

I have a cat who was diagnosed with FIV about four weeks ago.  Rapid decline and no answers anywhere!  I think I'm about out of time and have finally found a vet who took x-rays etc. and determined that my cats abdomen is filled with fluid.  He is not eating and is skin and bones - not much time left.  They told me I could have an ultrasound done = but do I want to put the cat thru this?  I had never heard of FIV and am SO upset that I was never informed that this virus was out there - and spreading rapidly.  IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?  Should I have the ultrasound done?  What purpose?  Are we just simply out of time?  Any info would be so greatly appreciated - I'm getting nothing here and the local vets don't seem to have a clue as to what to to do.

I am not a vet but the best information i have found about Fiv is from the blue cross charity, they have a whole information leaflet about it. I have tracked it down and given you the link here for your information (copy and paste it into your browser window.

It unfortunately does sound like your cat is in the further stages of Fiv and really your vet should be telling you what their chances are long term, as you say it may be that the illness is so far along that any treatment won't help much. Be persistent with your vet as them what the point of the ultra sound is, as this is just a diagnostic method, what do they think in there opinion is the right thing to do. if you are not happy with your vet, then definitely get a second opinion from another one.

Best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.