Cats/relationships between tom cats and their mother

My cat is about 21 months old, she had 2 male kittens last year July. recently, within the past couple of months, the mother has been hissing at her kittens, and attacking them. please can you advise me of why this may be happening and what i should do?

is your female cat still unneutered? This could be the reason for her actions. in the wild in is normal for the mother cat to chase off her litter once they can fend for themselves so that she can have a new litter and that competition for food etc is not too over crowded. Having her neutered would stop this situation.

Also are the two tom cats neutered. if not then she will be feeling threatened by their presence as they may make attempts to mate with her. they will also be giving off very strong territory smells which are also threatening to her. Again having the males neutered would help.

Best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.