Cats/young cat having kittens

I woke up this morning to my 1 yr old cat having kittens, she only had 2 and one died--is this normal for 2 kittens?? Also she didn't seem to really want to feed it everytime the kitten got to her nipple she would get up and move around so then the kitten had to get back there and by time she did the cat would move again, should i take it and start feeding it??

two kittens is a small number but it could happen. A cat can take several hours to have all her kittens and there may be many hours between each one so it could be possible that she has not finished giving birth and that is why she is restless.

the first kitten will need to feed fairly soon. If she will not allow it to feed still them yes you will have to take over but give her time first, just make sure the kitten is warm and comfortable and cleaned of any goo.

if no more kittens appear and your female cat still appears restless then it may be advisable to get her checked by a vet in case something has gone wrong inside, just a precaution.

I hope it all works out well for you all in the end.

Best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.