Cats/Clumping cat litter doesn't clump

Hi, I have 2 cats both 9 yrs old.  Recently I've noticed that their clumping cat litter doesn't clump.  I haven't changed brands (MAXX Scoop clumping formula) and the cats seem healthy and fine.  I do not see anything odd in their stool or noticed anything else strange. Is it possible that something has changed about their urine (sick?) that the litter won't clump?

it is very unlikely that the reason for the litter not clumping has anything to do with the cats. Clumping litter should clump with the contact with any moisture, so the fact that is not clumping means that there is soething wrong with the litter itself. It may be a duff batch or is very old etc. I would change your supplier for a while or change brands.

Best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.