Cats/my cat keeps hissing at me

since last week my cat has been hissing at me and growling, I was petting her noticed she is shedding so I starting brushing her and as is growling as I am petting her and smacked me with her paw , I also notice she has like a dandruff on her. I have never had a problem before. I will be visiting the vet this week. She is about 14 years old and is not the friendliest cat, but she wont let me pet her . I have another cat my boy cat she keeps hissing at him to. Any recommendations? They are both inside cats and never had a problem like this before?

it may be that the fur has become a little matted near the skin and is painful when touched etc and this is causing the cat to react this way. or there may be some skin problem which is uncomfortable. So taking your cat to the vet to get it looked at will be the best solution, so that you can rule out any ill health that may be affecting your cats behavior.

i hope all is well

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.