Cats/can't recognize kitty friend

Question
Hello,

I recently took my long haired cat (Tuffy) to the vet for a haircut.  This is a first time we've done it. Anyway, Cashew, our other cat, doesn't recognize Tuffy anymore.  He is hissing and avoiding and I'm concerned that it might get violent when we are not at home.

Is this normal?  Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi
it is probably because your other cat smells differently, ie either from any products used at the groomers or just from the hands of the groomers. Also as you say if your cat looks different that would also worry the other cat.

Hopefully once the cat's usual smell return things will settle down again. try rubbing your groomed cat with your hands to transfer your smell, this will also help your other cat, as smell is very important to them.

if you are really worried then perhaps keep the two cats in separate rooms while you are out for a few days. But I'm sure things will settle down soon.

best wishes
Kate
/cat-grooming.html

Cats

Kate Tilmouth