Cats/Behavior change

We have 2 cats, both neutered. The cat in question is about 4 years and recently he started to go to the bathroom (#1), on caarpet and sometimes furniture. He #2's in the litter box. This has never happened before.
Both cats are indoor cats and well behaved.
Any suggestions as to why this is is occuring all of a sudden? Is there any spray or other "trick" I can use to discourage this?

Thanks for ANY help.......

there is always a reason why a cat will start to do this, the trouble is discovering what the cause was. Cats can be upset by anything from small changes in the home to another cat in the area making them feel insecure. My best advice is to ask you to read my page about this problem and it's possible causes, this will help you to try an eliminate the source of the problem. Here is the page

Unfortunately there are no little tricks to try and change the behavior as they are not being bad they are simply expressing their anxiety about a situation.

I hope you find the cause of the problem soon.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.