Cats/Moving and getting new cat

Question
Hi there...We have an 18 month old female calico cat. We are moving apartments and want to get a new kitten. Should we wait to move to the new apartment and get our existing cat settled before we get the new kitten or should we introduce both cats to the new apartment at the same time? Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer
Hi
in my opinion it would be fair to allow your own cat time to adjust to the new surroundings etc before another cat was introduced to the house. Even then i would say that you would need to allow at least a three month period of settling in time as the upset of a new home and a new cat at the same time could be very distressing for your cat and could cause all sorts of behavioral issues which could be difficult to clear up.

Let you cat time to get used to the new home and then introduce a new cat. I have a web page about introducing cats for your information here /introducing-cats.html

Enjoy your new home

best wishes
Kate  

Cats

Kate Tilmouth