Cats/New kittens peeing in areas that had been peed on before.

I have been trying to find out whether or not a new kitten will pee in an area that other cats have marked as their territory. The cats who had marked the area are no longer in the house, it has been three years since this occurred and I would like to adopt a new kitten. What is the probability that a new cat will pee in that area as well?

As long as the area has been thoroughly cleaned then there is no reason why a new cat would go to the same area. the problem is cat urine as you know can be very strong and even the faintest residue can be smelt by a cat. Please see my web page about cleaning cat urine here /cat-urine-cleaner.html

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.