Cats/Runaway cat

Question
Recently my cat of 6 years ran away and it's been a few weeks since we've seen him. He has done this in the past but has never been gone this long. However, a friend of mine claims that her cat was gone two-three months but returned home. In the last year we've moved around quite a lot and I wonder if that might be a cause for his running away. But he's been stable in this house for a couple of months already but had trouble adjusting to another cat who lived here and also ran away weeks before. What can we do to get him back? Is this normal behavior? Help!

Answer
Hi
my sisters cat ran away after being with her for only two days, two weeks later he turned up at her door. So your friend is correct they can return if they want to. I have even heard of cats coming back after a month or so, it all depends on their reason for running away or going missing.

Some cats like to go on major territory exploration and this can take some time if they are so inclined. if he ran away because he is trying to find his way back home to one of your other homes, then it is always worth checking your old neighborhood again. but sometimes a cat will disappear if they are unhappy in the new home, this could be the environment or the other cats, in this case it is less likely that they will make their own way home. So as you can see it is not a simply question to answer.

By advice would be to make sure you put food outside for him every day and call him and to post up flyers in your neighborhood and to contact any local organizations that may pick up stray cats etc. See my web page about this subject here /lost-cats.html

best wishes
Kate  

Cats

Kate Tilmouth