Cats/cat drooling

My cat is one year old and in the last few days I have noticed that the area around his mouth is constantly wet with a clear gel-like substance. This has never happened before. His nose is also quite wet so I'm wondering if this might just be a cold? He has been eating normally and doesn't appear to have any discomfort in his mouth. Any ideas what this might be?

yes sounds like he might have a bit of a cold if his nose is wet too. Or he may have found some cat nip somewhere and has been having some fun with it, this can make cats drool a lot.

Keep an eye on him for any other possible symptoms of ill health like lack of appetite and sleeping more etc. In which case he may need some treatment from a vet. But hopefully it is nothing serious and will pass in  few days on its own.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.