Cats/cat losing weight

our cat is roughly 13 years old and over the last 12 months has lost quite a lot of weight.  although there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with her she is sick about 2 times a week.  we have had her seen by a vet before and were told there is nothing to worry about, could you please just reassure us that there is nothing to worry about.
many thanks
ian buzzard

I can understand that you are looking for some reassurance but unfortunately this is something that is impossible to give as one i am not a vet and two i have not seen your cat.

Has the vet done blood work on her to rule out a thyroid problem? As this is often the case of rapid weight loss.

Of course it may just be old age and some cats do loss weight as they get older. the vomit thing can be caused by so many different and possibly unrelated issues that it is impossible to say if it is connected to the weight loss.

If you are still worried take her to another vet for a second opinion to at least put your mind at rest.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.