Cats/Kitty poop problems

We just got a new kitten. I would say maybe 4-5 weeks old. We have two older cats also. The kitten is set up in the downstairs bathroom with bed, litter, food and such. When we leave her in there at night she'll use the litter just fine. The problem is when we let her out she'll poop downstairs. It's not like she does not know about the litter. Is she forgetting about the litter upstairs? Also downstairs where she poops, in the unfinished part, are three litters for my two other cats. Any help to break this problem would be great.

no she probably realizes that she should use the litter tray but she is using the poop as a very strong scent marker to indicate to the other cats that this is her territory. It also helps to make herself feel more secure in the new home.

It is a hard thing to stop as she is following her cat instincts to do with scent marking. It may just mean that you have to keep her to her room for a little while longer and that you use the introducing cats to each other method here /introducing-cats.html so that when she is let out she doesn't;t feel so threatened by the other cats and feel the need to scent mark.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.