Cats/New mother with odd new habit

My sister is having a problem with her feline Carly.  Yes she is named after me. (smile) She is 1 year old & just had her first kittens.  One was born dead, another died by the 3rd day, the other 2 she has moved to behind the dryer on the porch.  She has taken to doing her potty behind the dryer as well.  She was raised as an indoor/house cat.  My sister started letting her & her brother Tommy outside earlier this spring, hence the kittens.  My sister wants to know why she is not using her litter box.  It is a covered box she grew up with & she uses Fresh Step like always. Please help.  Thanks.

cats use their urine as a scent marker and it is used to make an area smell like the cat which makes them feel safe and secure ie this is my place. It could be that with all the changes in her life recently that she has felt rather unsettled and so is scenting to make herself feel better as it were.

It may take a while for the cat to calm down and regain her confidence, so in the mean time you will have to clean the urine up and use things to make sure the odor is completely gone see here for some ideas /cat-urine-cleaner.html

if the odor remains then they will continue to use the area.

Make more fuss of her and give her lots to do even play games with her to distract her from herself. All these things will help her to feel more secure in the home again.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.