Cats/cat behaviour

Question
my cat gave birth 4th july 2008 she keeps picking her cats up taking them to the back door, but when she pickes them up she does it quite hard and i think she could be hurting them. She hasnt rejected them and this is her first time being a mother but she is quite young and i dont think she is understanding the issue at the moment and doesnt quite know what to do...Could you tell me what is going on please because i am getting quite worried...Does this mean its something bad or is it just normal for a cat to want to take her babys to where she wants?

Answer
Hi
this is a easy question to answer. yes this is completely normal behavior. I have seen mother cats carry their kittens across a busy road just to hide them some where else. It is all part of her trying to find a safe place for them. perhaps she feels that outside would be an option.

Don't worry it may look hard when they grip them but the skin around the neck is designed to be gripped tightly by the mum and doesn't hurt them.

Even first time cat mums have very strong mothering instincts. So just let her get on with things her own way.

best wishes
Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth