Cats/My cat won't pee in her litter box

I have a cat who will not pee in her litter box. She started about a year and a half ago and has only gotten worse.  How can I make/train her again to go in her litter box? I am tired of cleaning up her messes. Do you have any opinions on how to get a cat to stop using my chairs as a scratching post? I have tried the rug post and cat nip and nothing seems to work. Thanks.

The best way for me to answer your questions is to ask you to read my pages about these subjects which i wrote specifically to help people in this situation. Here are the links.

I hope the information will be of help :)

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.