Cats/loss of companion cat

I recently lost a cat. He disappeared.  The surviving momma cat is lonely.  I
travel a lot and was wondering if I should bring her along. I have a van and
she used to travel when she was much younger. She is 13 years old. I am
gone five days at a time. I have friends come and feed her , etc., but when I
get home she talks and follows me around the whole day. Help she is so
lonely now. Any suggestions?

this is a difficult one. Some cats travel well and some really hate it. i do know of some people who take their cats away with them on business trips etc but generally the cat has been used to doing this from a young age.

You only really have two options i think. One is to try taking her out with you on a short trip and see how she reacts. I have a page about travelling with cats here

The other is to find her a more stable home where someone will be around for them more often. i know this is not what you anted to hear but if she appears to be very clingy when you do get home it could be a sign of some distress, some cats just need more company than others. At 13 she is getting on a bit and would probably like a more settled life. But of course you know your situation and cat better than i do and so at the end of the day you are the best judge.

I wish you all the best and i do hope you can sort something out for her. Wouldn't it be just great if she ended up being a natural traveller.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.